23 January, 2014

I have a habit !

I feel drawn by rose flowers and have a large collection of  their photographs from different locations. 

As I watched this flower in the garden in front of our cottage, I could not pass by it without photographing it. 

I kept pondering over why the rose flowers capture my attention so much! 

The petals of the rose flower is arranged  overlapping each other in a circular fashion. This arrangement is almost the same in most varieties of  rose flowers, I have so far observed. The petals stay close to each other, providing protection to each other and the fragile petals in the centre have several circular layers of protection from other petals.

To me, this is the story of community living. We live in close contact with each other; we care and protect each other; we are most considerate towards those who need special attention.

It is now thirty five years, since I have had the privilege of being in touch with children who have special needs. I have come to realise how they too are needed to make a human family complete. The absence of any petal would make the rose flower look deficient. The children with special needs ought to be in the centre of a family and society receiving care and protection from all around them. Their absence from our consciousness or our failure to recognise them would make the humanity devoid of its given fullness.

A rose flower is a symbol of human relationships

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)   

No comments:

Post a Comment