08 January, 2014

Doing it for others!

I am fond of stopping to talk to artists who make sign boards. I like talking to them because once they have manually painted the sign board, their job is done and most probably people do not think of the artist when they are guided by a sign post. The sign board serves others all the time.

One discovery I made during my conversations with them is their intensity of commitment to make the sign boards visibly attractive and impressive for the benefit of others. They usually design something that blends with the place, setting and colour mosaic in the environment. The focus is on visibility and clarity from a distance of about thirty meters when they paint road signs. They usually suggest the height at which it needs to be placed for easy visual contact. They would also suggest a strategic site to locate a  sign board  to help others to see them without straining .  

A sign board artist thinks of others and designs it for the benefit of others.

I have often wondered, whether I carry others in my focus when I do something. Having been practising as a doctor, I have had contacts with hundred o families over the last thirty five years. I have often paused to search my intention, ‘how much of other’s needs stay in my focus when I work’! 

We seem to be moving towards a dominant work culture of, ‘I work for my benefits’. The rights or entitlement culture that has developed among us make us often inclined to consider our needs, aspirations, or expectations. 

How transforming it would be if we can become more ‘other person centric’ in our engagements with others at work place! 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment