03 January, 2015

Optic and Views



I grew up in a tradition of having strong opinions. I still suffer from this snare. Recently I had two instances, I felt in hindsight that I dragged my viewpoint beyond a limit. 

While on a morning walk, immediately after those incidents I was given an opportunity to revisit my behaviour towards others on a account of my opinion. 
I watched this ornamental plant from different positions to discover that the bush looked different when  viewed from different positions. 

This sight kept resounding in my heart during the rest of the walk. A child with a ball in his hand was going to the basketball court. He stopped me to ask, if I was not well. I was physically well but he noticed something that made him think the way he thought. 

We think and view through our optic of ideas and attitudes. But we can reposition ourselves and be even more objective if we can include other's views into our thought formation. 

I sent an apology to a friend for expressing myself too strongly, who suggested that often a third view is more likely to be a fair position. I often avoid entertaining this prospect, because of an impression that it is good to be either 'hot or cold' and not 'leukwarm'. 

How much better for for relationships within family and outside if we are open to review our views because truth lies scattered and would have escaped our attention. 

For me it is another journey into adult formation!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment