18 February, 2013

Confessions of a twin

It is when I saw these two rose flowers, which are different in colour,  in the same branch and the plant, I was comforted. After all, there can be differences in character, temperament and interests between twins. 

From the time, I can recall, I have had to live with the comments from my parents. 'look at your twin brother. He is more organised, studies well and gets all the awards at school and is most helpful at home'. I knew that I was different from my brother. I am athletic and spend lot of my time in sports. I pass all the exams, and complete the project work on time at school. I am curious and engineering minded. I help at home to fix electric connections or mend taps or repair toaster, etc. Everybody is happy at home when I do this. Soon they forget and start comparing me with my brother when he does something better .

My brother is an avid reader and keeps to himself. I watch TV to update myself and spend time with friends. The differences between are many. We relate to each other well. He understands me and I do in turn. And yet, I feel him being preferred to me at home. 

I get a similar impression at school and among my parent's friends. Not that my parents discriminate me, but they wish, I was like my brother!

I think that both the colours in the two rose flowers are pretty. The plant itself is beautiful because the flowers have two hues of red. It is natural to be different. It is good to be myself. How can I make my parents feel this way!

The rose plant is a messenger to comfort me. Let me be myself. 'I will add colour to your lives as we go along', I keep telling my parents. I am glad that my brother believes me. I n the mean time, I stay grateful to the rose plant for its message to me and the creator God who adds  beauty to everything. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment