05 September, 2012

Making a home in an unfamiliar place

Anna and I are now in my mother's home, to make it as our home. I left this village home 42 years back for higher education and stayed on in different parts of India to pursue our health care involvements. Our coming was primarily to give companionship to my mother who would turn 90 years shortly. It was Anna who insisted that we return and prepared for it during the last one year.

It was a raining most of the morning after we had unloaded the truck, which brought  our household articles. One of our domestic helpers got engaged in the rain to plant the lawn grass we brought from our garden at PIMS. Two other women were busy cleaning the house and surroundings. A gentle man helped in improving the access to our house by clearing the overgrown grass. I went out to get internet connection, TV connection, and few other chores. 

What surprised me was the most helpful attitude of every one I met. This was in contrast to what I had anticipated. I felt initially like a stranger in this village, not knowing anyone to ask for help.

However a neighbor turned up to offer help to locate a newspaper agent; another person helped in finding a bank that we can access; a third person called a couple of times to offer us the contacts of an electrician and a plumber. 

The first day was full of surprises of kindness and proactive help. This reminds me that we are not strangers to others, but we are neighbors of each other. This is most comforting.

When a friend lost his wallet in the train, the strangers helped him with enough pocket money for the journey. He while narrating this incident told me that he was overwhelmed by their support and help. 

Where ever we are, it can become our home, as most people are willing neigbours to welcome us with open hands. This helps us to shed fears of others and be more collaborative. This is the culture that shall upbuild every society.

M.C.Mathew.     

No comments:

Post a Comment