27 November, 2022

Sunday morning sights !










What an unusual sight of a pair of Wood pecker and Red vented Bulbul (sorry for the out of focus photo. Before I could refocus, both of them flew away) in our garden! 

The wood pecker arrived together. The bird call of the red vented Bulbul brought the other Bulbul. Soon they were on their way for the next phase of expedition of the morning. 

It was  special to watch a confirmed pair of wood peckers and a pair of Bulbuls beginning their courtship!

I spend less time now-a-days than I used to watching birds. I feel disappointed for not having been able to make time in the recent months. I look forward to Sundays now as it gives an opportunity. 

Ever since Anna and I  summarised our experiences in the book, Bird Movements-our inner responses earlier this year, we have felt that some birds have become closer to us emotionally. The bulbuls now come to our dining table to feed on the banana whenever they have an opportunity. Anna recently placed a tray with banana and a bowl of water adjacent to it. A pair of them are regular visitors for their feed and drink in the morning. 

It is a pleasure to watch them as well as sense the hesitation their body language conveys when they spot us watching them. 

The pigeons at Trafalgar Square in London would come to take feed from the hand of anyone. I suspect the fascination for bird watching originated within us since we sighted and experienced this. Our children often choose to go there whenever we were in that part of London to experience the pigeons feeding from their hands. 

Humans generate fear in other living beings. Bu humans can also create bonding in our pets as well as visiting birds. 

Dulcie would come to Anna often wanting to be stroked. When I return form work she would bark till I gave her attention and allowed her to climb on to my legs to be stroked. 

Parents can generate fear or affection in their toddlers and pre-school children. I heard the mother say to her toddler when he was crying, 'stop crying, otherwise the doctor would give an injection'. I heard a contrary message when a child was crying, ' I know you are tired. Can I read to you till we finish seeing the doctor'! The child stopped crying and kept looking at the picture book from where her mother was reading to her. 

We can create fear or composure!

I herd a speaker today using his message to create fear about going to hell. At the same time I heard another person in prayer mentioning that loves dispels fear. 

A professionals once mentioned to me that, many use  'controlling as the way of getting work done'.  I realised during my ten years at my work place that caring for each other  can be another way of getting work done. 

The above were the thoughts that surfaced in my mind as I watched the birds in our garden today!


M.C.Mathew(text and phot)









 

No comments:

Post a Comment