05 October, 2022

Hanging drops!


There was a short drizzle around 4 am today. At 7.45 am, most leaves of the plant carried a drop of water at their tip. What a sight!

A friend recently told me how the harsh words that his professor spoke to me twenty years back still stayed with him. Words spoken cannot be taken back. An apology might have a benefit, but the damage cannot be undone. 

How are we to speak knowing that words stay in our memory!

I received a message from someone with whom I am infrequently in contact. He remembered something I seem to have mentioned when he was in final year of training in medicine. It was about getting 'married to someone better than himself'! He reminded me of the blessing it has been in his life. 

I often recall an instruction I found in Colossians 4:6, 'Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned as it were with salt, so that you may know how to respond to each person'. I have had instances where restrain and caution while speaking saved an ugly situation. I remember instances when there was a provocation to engage. They were difficult times. 

So the sight of the water drops hanging on to the leaves reminded me of the blessing the spoken words can bring as well as the pain they can inflict. 

The spoken words can bring communication to create communion. That is the intent of normal human conversations. 


M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


 





No comments:

Post a Comment