06 January, 2019

An ornamental sight!


When  a palm tree flowers which happens not so frequently, it is a sight that captivates one's attention! The tree receives a new look with the florescence first and later the seeds.

It is from the florescence the 10 percent alcoholic beverage, toddy is collected. A tree climber would slice a portion of the florescence and collect the sap in a pot. Many farmers had such palm trees in their property earlier. Now with the liquor available in plenty, it is not so common to gather toddy from the florescence of the palm tree or coconut tree.  

What disturbs me is that many adult and adolescent men in my village are regular alcohol users. Although the tobacco use has gone down, I suspect alcohol us eats gone up considerably. 

I feel that the social habit of taking a peg or two is the reason which makes some to be regular alcohol consumers!

I feel alone when I plead with professional organisers to stop serving alcohol at the professional conferences. I find that some meetings which are called 'academic meetings' start with  a'drink' !

During my travel overseas I have noticed an increasing number of professionals choosing to have fruit juices even during a banquet!

Alcohol abuses our body and is also a cause for abusing others verbally or physically! Is it not true that seventy percent of road traffic accidents are related to alcohol consumption!

It is terrible to imagine that state governments sponsor alcohol use by running beverage shops!

I make my protest known!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment