13 August, 2015

Struggling to move!

Every time I watch a child with central Motor Dysfunction attempts to move, I have a sense of helplessness. 

It is now thirty five years I have been in full time engagement with children suffering form neuro-developmental disorders. I have not been able to answer a question which was one of my objectives when I got started- to make movement easier for children with spasticity!

There are several palliative or facilitatory process by exercises or medicines to assist children to reduce spasticity! But all the measures have had limited benefit in some of them. 

Many children end up being spastic when they have not been moved enough in the first year of life following an insult to the motor cortex or basal ganglia of the brain. 

One movement regime I have found most useful is swimming. But it is one activity most parents resist for fear of exposing a child to cold and cough. It is true that we do not have preheated swimming pool or therapeutic pool. At least six months of year when the the day is hot, the water temperature would be comfortable for swimming for children! But parents the have other excuses.

I fear that neighbours, relatives or professionals decide for the family giving parents little chance to explore for themselves.

The culture in God's own country(state of Kerala) on many matters is to go by public opinion! I wonder whether we can counter it by being more objective!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)  

No comments:

Post a Comment