27 May, 2014

Yet to feel retired!


Anna and I are on the second job after our retirement from the Christian Medical College Vellore four years back. Many ask us what are we up to after our retirement. 

After my cardiac surgery eight months back, Anna and I attended the sunday service at the  St.John’s church twice, during our visit to Vellore. It was the church which nurtured us for fifteen years and where Arpit and Anandit got married to Amy and Aswathy respectively. We felt at home at this congregation.

During the last visit, one of our friends mentioned that ‘we do not look retired!’. That comment struck me and made me think. 

How we are inside actually gets communicated even unconsciously. People read our minds, movements, activities etc. and  decide the attitude which governs our outlook. 

All of us have different seasons in our lives, which correspond to our chronological age. We are students for a season, in employment with changes in  job for another season, in retraining for better jobs, superannuation at another stage…all these changes affect our interior view of life!

The interior view of life is conditioned by our consciousness of , ‘whose we are!’. If we live with an awareness that we are followers of Jesus of Nazareth, to whom we belong as our anchor, then, life is a a passage through time with a vocation and mission! During the transitions, we still live beholding this mystery that ‘christ, the hope of glory,  resides within us’.

This consciousness give us energy and longing to live well and fully.

A student told me today after a lecture I took for a group of ninety medical students, that, ‘you kept us awake’. I was glad that I did not communicate self-resignation to retirement! I was glad that life is still ticking with fervour and enthusiasm. 

Let us celebrate the joy of life.  

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment