28 May, 2014

A gymnastic bird

As I watched this bird move its body  aesthetically and easily in response to sight and sounds, while pecking on the trunk to make its nest, I was more than surprised. 

It was the first time I watched such easily performed body movements by any avian species. I returned to the same spot to watch this bird, but could not find except three abandoned perfectly made round holes in the trunk of the same tree. As it was November and the breeding season for birds, I kept looking for it in similar tall trees with thick bark, only to be disappointed. 

I found that some birds have unusual flexibility and others adapt to develop depending on the need. The avian spinal column is suited for axial movements.

The nature is a repository of lessons for adult learning. As we grow older, we become more inflexible bodily, emotionally, socially and relationally. We get fossilised to our preferred ways with only marginal prospects to adapt and adjust. What a paradox! The mrs we know and understand the more we are to be flexible, tolerant and accommodative! 

As a teacher in a medical college, my challenge has been to exercise this approach towards medical students, even when they deliberately choose a path to harm their future! The more we know, the more we are to be loving, caring and forbearing!

M.C.Mathew( photo and text)  

No comments:

Post a Comment