28 July, 2013

A gift that multiplied

I was able to catch up with Dr. Jacob Chacko, a paediatric surgeon, recently retired from CMC Vellore, during my recent visit to a hospital where he spends most of his time consulting.

Jacob gave me a handful of lawn grass, in 1997, to plant in our garden in the CMC hospital campus, when Anna and I moved to Vellore from Chennai. He preserved a small portion of the grass in a pot when he lost his lawn, when the place was dug up for a new construction. It is from this, he gave me a portion. 

That grass grew well and made a good lawn around the house and the cuttings were used to create about sixty patches of lawn in the college and hospital campuses at Vellore in the next few years. When we moved to Pondicherry in 2008, we used the cuttings from our lawn to make  large lawn in the PIMS campus. When we relocated in my mother's cottage in Kerala in 2012, we brought the cuttings to make a lawn along the walkway. 

Fifteen years later, the grass is still extending its presence. I asked Jacob in my recent meeting, 'how is that you thought of giving me the grass without me asking for it'. He said, 'you had many plants in the garden and I thought you would like to have a lawn'.

I am grateful to Jacob for making me an ardent advocate of making a lawn, where ever there is vacant  space.

Jacob has interest in gardening and grows vegetables, fruits and cereals in his farm at Vellore. He finds it as his hobby that enhances his inner resources. 

What inspires me even now as I think of the gift of lawn grass, is that he trusted me to make good use of it. The grass became several lawns in three places. 

Giving with a large heart shall bring good returns. It is in giving we add joy to the life of others!  That is what, I heard an eight year child saying to his sister, when she was upset to share her toys with a neighbour Shirley, 'you will provide a lot of fun if you let Shirley play with your toys'. This boy had discovered larger meaning in giving and sharing. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)     

1 comment:

  1. Can you please tell me Where does Dr Jacob Chacko practices?

    ReplyDelete