13 August, 2016

Symbols of graduation!


I had one more opportunity to participate in the graduation ceremony of MOSC Medical College, Kolenchery, recently. 

As I watched the guests and the graduates attire themselves in the ceremonial dress, my memory went back to all the graduation ceremonies I watched in India and in different countries. The ceremonial dress looks most similar across.

I have reflected on this ceremonial dress. It is an external attire we put on for the  occasion, which has many ritualistic meanings. 

One meaning that I reflected on while talking to some graduates is about its association with transition in life. At graduation every person is formally and visibly acknowledged for his or her accomplishment at the end of a course of study. The ceremonial dress is a symbol of the personal achievement and embodies the honour and affirmation of his or her worth an institution bestows upon a  graduate!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)   

No comments:

Post a Comment