23 July, 2015

Listening!



I have often returned to this photograph to meditate on listening skills. The body language in this photo reflects the mood of intense listening!

The look, facial gesture, body posture, emotional response and the ambience communicate the listening intent and process!

Every time I have to listen to families who have a story to tell about their children, I realise how stories can be long winding and peripheral that I lose the patience to listen! And yet on those occasions, when I have patiently processed the story, there was a truth that was central to understanding the needs of the family. 

Listening involves being present unconditionally! It is therapeutic when we listen to a person with openness. Those of us who are habitually required to listen need occasions for debriefing and silence to inwardly prepare ourselves to be receptive!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment