14 November, 2013

From Below Upwards !

I watched this wood pecker in action for a while. I noticed it moving around the branch to find a safe place and position to peck. It settled down perched between these two branches for pecking. The hanging body weight gives it a better velocity of movement to peck. The wood pecker normally holds the the branch firmly parallel to the branch. It is a climber’s style.

A coconut climber climbs up to drop coconuts. One has to climb   a tree to pluck mango. This movement upwards is to find fruits.

I have had time this week to reflect on this movement from below upwards!

Two months back I was ill, admitted in a hospital and operated upon. I was rather low in spirit now and then. I have completed this week two months after my surgery. I feel well and refreshed. I too have  had a movement from being ‘low to wellness’.

We will hit our lows now and then. The challenge is to move upwards rather than choose to give up or resign to the circumstances.

As I stepped up my daily living activities little by little each week as advised, I realised how that movement restored confidence, hope and capacity.

However, what made a difference in my inward being was times of silence and waiting. The activity that refreshes our soul is silence and not more activity! The body needs the activity of exercise and the soul needs the activity of silence.

Is silence an activity at all! Is it not a passive state!

It is in silence, we still our wandering mind to allow it to rest and feel refreshed. The wandering or preferred thoughts would seek entry into the silent resting mind; it is an activity of inner diligence that would help initially to let them go by, rather than steal our attention! Later as we get used to the habit of interior silence, this activity turns into being attentive towards God for being drawn by Him. It is by our presence to God, God becomes present. The milieu of interior silence allows us to prepare room for God consciousness to grow within. This is the entrance to encounter a contemplative experience with God. We can only travel up to this entrance and it is God who can carry us further to His manifest presence.

This is the journey from below upwards- from our state to the door way to God’s presence. Our times of meditation on the scripture and prayer are means for this to happen.  Practicing interior silence is a means to experience the encounter with God.


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment