05 September, 2018

Art in nature!





Every morning Anna and I take a walk when it is possible!

A walk into the garden in front of our cottage is a routine for me now. 

I owe this habit to my late father, for whom farming was his second profession next to his teaching, who persuaded me to walk with him in the garden from my early days. I remember this as I was not allowed walk into the garden once I was dressed and ready for school. So it was as old as six years of age! It was his habit to point out something special each morning. 

One experience I remember during one such walks was the experience with 'touch me not plants'. If one were to disturb the leaves by touching, the tiny leaves would fold up and open up only after a while!

I suppose the interest in plants and flowers was planted in me at that time. 

It was during the recent years I got further fascinated by the small things in nature of great significance that I was not aware of earlier! 

I watch the dew or rain drops in the rose plant laves almost every day! Th surface and the edges of the leaves of rose plants are rough because of which the water particles stay glued to the leaves. I notice that they evaporate in the sunshine sometimes only by the mid day (Last picture)! So, for half of the day when there is sunshine, the leaves are protected from the heat of the sun! The leaves of the rose plants droop  towards the evening, only to revive the next day!

I wonder whether this art of nature of hundreds of drops which get formed on the leaves, in the silence of the night, can be reproduced by human handiwork of an artist! I asked the artist in our college and he told me that this was one exercise they learned in the initial stages of training in painting! To reproduce the sight of water particles on leaves! According to him it is not reproducible in its original form even with the best of efforts!

So there are some things in nature that are distinct and unique!

It is awe inspiring, is it not! 

All things have an origin beyond human creation!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)  

No comments:

Post a Comment