19 April, 2013

Our skills, our strength or weakness!

There is an increasing skill, aggression and techniques photographers employ now- a- days. 

I was recently attending a baptismal service at an ancient church. There were three photographers and two video graphers in attendance. 

If I go out with my professional kit to any public occasion, the official photographers would dissuade me to take pictures by obstructing my views or pushing me aside. If I carry my amateur camera, no photographer would normally worry me. 

Now I have an amateur looking compact camera, but almost professional in quality, which most photographers do not recognise fortunately.

I had a conversation with one of the photographers(not the ones in this photo) after the baptismal service, during which he noticed that my compact camera was indeed an advanced one, which can give professional quality picture. He spread his discovery to other camera men following which I had immense difficulty to get any good shots, as they were determined to obstruct my view and access.

Now that I have observed this several times, I presume that this is a professional habit, photographers develop towards amateurs. With cameras available in cell phone, i-pad, lap tops and regular cameras becoming affordable, amateurs produce almost professional quality pictures, which threaten the professionals. It is true that many professional camera men have to be competitive to stay in the profession. 

Let me suggest that our skill is also our WEAKNESS just as it is also our strength. If our skill were to make us proud, intolerant, arrogant, or possessive, we gradually loose the regard from others, that we deserve to receive.  

I am aware of younger professionals in medical profession becoming preoccupied and self-promotional of their skills that, it becomes almost boastful and imposing.

It is good to view our skills in humility and graciously. 

I knew late Dr, Ray Windsor, a cardio-thoracic surgeon from Newzeland, who lived in India for about two decades. It was only accidentally I found out that he was an acclaimed concert pianist, well known in his country. On one occasion when he played the piano, he surprised us with his skills. Even then we had not discovered this. 

Our skills become a virtue, when we relate to them lightly and gently, and use them only for the service of others.        This is a challenge to us, when we are tempted to project ourselves, even while submitting our CV for a job search.

Let our skills be subject to our will and spirit!

M.C.Mathew.(Text and photo)

           

No comments:

Post a Comment